In the past I have had very little to do with any of the social networking sites. I joined both Twitter and Facebook in 2008 at the... rather persistent, urging of my employer at the time in an effort to improve communication not only between staff members but also between the staff and church community. I have since found that the only real purpose I have for Twitter is the ability to follow a few news agencies; I have those sent as text messages to my phone and only actually login once or twice a year. Facebook, on the other hand, I have found to be quite useful. I have enjoyed looking up some old friends and keeping tabs with others to remove the need for looking them up in the future. But I’m still not what any of my friends would call active... So anyone that took the time to check-out my FB profile would discover a fairly quiet christian family man. Oh man, was I mistaken...
I have never done a search on myself before, never really saw the need. When I did this evening I was not very pleasantly surprised. As I can see that this is a necessary evil, I have concluded that I now must include a link to my Facebook profile, Twitter page, Picasa site and anything else I may have, probably on all my professional communications, but most definitely on any communication, application and/or resume` I send to a prospective client or employer. I went through page after page of other John Starkey’s, very few of which I would want someone to mistake for me. It was actually very enlightening and more than a little scary; when I think back to all the resume`s I’ve sent out with so few call backs... I kick myself for not doing this long ago. But I have also realized that should I become responsible for hiring in the future that I will ask prospectives to include links to their various profiles so that When I check up on them I will know that I have the right folks...
No comments:
Post a Comment