INT. PRIVATE MEDICAL OFFICE - EXAM ROOM – DAY
MARYJANE, a cute blond haired, blue eyed 5 year-old girl,is lying on a generic examining table with a pullout step being poked and prodded by DR. JO, a small Asian woman in her late thirties wearing a white lab coat and stethoscope.
On the opposite wall, sitting anxiously, are a mildly obese mid thirties mom, BETTY-LOU, and dad, BILLY-RAY, who are intensely watching and listening.
DR.
(Looking at MARY)
Her lungs sound fine, every thing’s clear, so it’s probably just a virus causing the cough-
Now carefully probing Mary’s left side
DR.
(To Mary)
Does this hurt sweetie?
Mary shaking her head negatively
MARY
No mam. Well maybe a little there.
Dr. Jo looks up from Mary and turns towards mom & dad
DR
Everything looks good except for this one little spot-
Turns to Mary
Turns to Mary
DR
Mary, does it hurt when you go to the bathroom? When you go poopy?
Mary shakes her head no and DR turns back to the parents
Mary shakes her head no and DR turns back to the parents
DR
She has a small lump, or a hard spot in her abdomen that is just mildly
concerning.
I would guess that she’s just a little constipated so I want you to make sure she gets plenty of fiber
and green leafy vegetables this week,
and give her a little prune juice
every day, that should clear things
out.
BETTY
So, its nothing we need to worry about? We shouldn’t run any tests?
DR
No, I don’t want to put her through the trauma of all the possible tests
we may need to run just to find out
that she’s a little backed up. We’ll
make her an appointment for next week
and see how things look then.
BILLY
Ok. That sounds good; I’ll stop by the desk on the way out and get her on the schedule.
DR
Great! I’ll go grab the nurse and have her set those immunizations up
and we’ll get you guys on your way...
Dr. Jo turns and leaves the room, shutting the door behind her.
Mary looking very concerned
MARY
Mommy? I don’t want to get any shots.
Billy smiling at Mary
BILLY
Honey, I told you that you would be getting some shots today, but don’t
worry, there’s only going to be five
of them and the needles are only –
Billy holds his hands out, about shoulder width apart
Billy holds his hands out, about shoulder width apart
BILLY
- going to be about this big.
Mary visibly shrinks and moves further back on the table. Betty turns toward Billy, attracting his attention
BETTY
Now you stop that DADDY! Last time it
took me and three nurses to hold her
down.
BILLY
What’s my name? Come on, you can say
it, MASTER. Just watch and learn
honey, watch and learn...
Billy turns back to Mary smiling
BILLY
Don’t worry sweetie, there’s only going to be six of them and the needle is only going to be as big as your thumb and –
Billy holds his hands out, considerably wider than he did a
moment ago
BILLY
- they are only going to be this long
BILLY
- they are only going to be this long
MARY
STOP IT DADDY!
BETTY
YEAH. Stop it DADDY! ...Oh!
Betty reaches in her pocket and pulls out a vibrating cell phone. She looks at the caller id and turns to Billy,
BETTY
It’s the boss honey. I gotta take
this.
Answering the phone
BETTY
BETTY
Hey Sandy! What’s up?
SANDY (V.O.)
Hey Betty, we had a meeting this
morning and I need to talk to you
about it. Is now a good time? Do you
have a minute?
BETTY
Sure! What’s up?
SANDY (V.O.)
Well, like I said we had a meeting
this morning with all the department
heads and, well, you can’t work as a
nurse tech anymore. –
Billy watches as Betty closes her eyes and tenses up.
SANDY (V.O.)
- As you know, a nurse tech is
technically a nursing student working
in the position of a nursing
assistant, and, well, you graduated
and have your license. You’re a RN
now, not a nursing student...
Betty looking down at the floor
BETTY
Well, yes that’s true, but HR said I
could continue to work as a tech for
up to three months while I look for a
new position. And you said I could
work as long as I needed and it’s
only been a month...
Betty looks up at the ceiling
SANDY (V.O.)
I know, I’m sorry but they changed the policy on the nurse tech position and told us this morning that effective today, anyone not currently enrolled in and actively attending nursing school could no longer work as a tech.
Betty looks back down at the floor shaking her head with her eyes closed
I know, I’m sorry but they changed the policy on the nurse tech position and told us this morning that effective today, anyone not currently enrolled in and actively attending nursing school could no longer work as a tech.
Betty looks back down at the floor shaking her head with her eyes closed
SANDY (V.O.)
I’m sorry honey, there’s nothing I
can do. I’ll let you know of any RN
positions that open up. Let me know
if I can do anything to help you get
on somewhere.
BETTY
Yeah, thanks Sandy
Betty hangs up and turns to Billy
BETTY
I just got fired –
Billy’s eyes go wide
BETTY
Yeah, I’m an RN now, not a nursing
student, so I can’t work as a tech
anymore, period. Dot.
BILLY
(very sarcastically)
YAY!
The NURSE enters the room smiling and looks at Mary
NURSE
I’ve got something for you!
Mary, who has been watching her mom, jumps and looks up at the nurse. Seeing her, she tenses up.
MARY
What?
Still smiling and looking Mary in the eye
NURSE
I’ve got a special band aide for you!
Do you want it?
With out looking away from Mary or waiting for a response the nurse pulls a big blue crayon shaped band aide out of her pocket and sticks it on Mary’s arm. In the same motion she pulls 2 small syringes out of her other pocket.
With out looking away from Mary or waiting for a response the nurse pulls a big blue crayon shaped band aide out of her pocket and sticks it on Mary’s arm. In the same motion she pulls 2 small syringes out of her other pocket.
NURSE
You like that?
Mary smiles and nods, then seeing only 2 small needles, she visibly exhales and relaxes
NURSE
Good! I’ve got 2 more of those for
you! Where you want them? Arms or
legs?
MARY
Legs.
MARY
Legs.
Betty gets up and moves towards Mary. Before she can get
there the nurse slides both of Mary’s pant legs up and
gives her both shots, not giving Mary time to react. She
puts on 2 more crayon band aides and smiles at Mary.
NURSE
There! Now that wasn’t too bad was
it?
Mary smiles
MARY
MARY
No...
Billy looks at Betty and smiles
BILLY
See! MASTER...
Betty smiles and playfully tries to smack him.
FADE OUT:
THE END
THE END
No comments:
Post a Comment